Vanakkam! (That’s 'hello' in Tamil, my native tongue.)
I am Krishna, a research assistant/PhD candidate at the Media Computing Group, Aachen.
I am driven to help improve data scientists' workflow. I study how data workers deal with various phases of data science: learning, performing, debugging, and reporting. Based on my findings, I design, build, and investigate interaction techniques that can alleviate data workers' problems.
Visual statistical programming
StatWire is an IDE for R that integrates the traditional text-based editor with a visual data-flow editor to better support statistical programming.
Late-Breaking Work at CHI 2018.
StatPlayground is a web-based app that allows users to directly manipulate characteristics of data (e.g., mean, variance, outliers) through visualizations (e.g., box plot) and view the resulting effect on the inferential statistics (e.g., p-value, effect size) and vice versa.
Paper at INTERACT 2019 and a Late-Breaking Work at CHI 2017.
Statsplorer is a software tool that allows users to do statistical analysis by interacting with visualizations. It guides the user to select appropriate statistical analysis tasks based on her research questions. It also prevents common statistical analysis mistakes and promotes understanding by collocating appropriate visualizations with statistical analysis results. (read more)
Paper at CHI 2015 and a Student Research Competition entry at CHI 2014.
|Lukas Koschmieder||Dec. 2015–Jul. 2016||B.Sc.*||Utilizing Microsoft Word as a PRiME Documentation
Processor – Detection and Visualization of PRiME
Guideline Violations in Microsoft Word
|Devashish Jasani||Jul. 2016–Feb. 2017||M.Sc.
(in collaboration with SAP Labs)
|Realizing Elastic Design Principles for User Exploration in Bayesian Analysis|
|Michael Ellers||Jul. 2016–Mar. 2017||B.Sc.||StatLets: Improving Statistical Analysis with R|
|Jeanine Bonot||Jan. 2017–Feb. 2019||M.Sc.||StatPlayground: Fine-level Control of InfoViz with Foreshadowing via Direct Manipulation|
|Johannes Maas||Mar. 2017–Aug. 2017||B.Sc.||StatWire: Visual Flow-Based Programming for Statistical Analysis|
|Mariia Mentiu||Jun. 2017–Sep. 2017||B.Sc.*.||Evaluating Learning Analytics Prototypes for E-learning|
|Sahar Delavar||Jul., 2017–Mar. 2018||M.Sc.||In Situ Evaluation of Climate Control in Cards via a Mobile App|
|Yuliya Sergiyenko||Jan., 2018–Oct. 2018||M.Sc.||Investigating Statistical Analysis Workflows in HCI|
|Martin Huppertz||Apr. 2018–||B.Sc.||Virtual Guides for 3D Modeling in AR.|
|Asif Mayilli||May 2018–||M.Sc.||Understanding How Tangibles Are Used for Data Sharing.|
|Radu-Andrei Coanda||Jul. 2018–Feb. 2019||B.Sc.||Cheno: Computing Datasets from Inference Statistics|
|Ilya Zubarev||Aug. 2018–Mar. 2019||M.Sc.||Visual and Functional Aids to Support the Statistical Analysis Workflow|
|Anam Sohail||Jan. 2019–||M.Sc.||Challenges in Recruiting Participants for Studies in HCI|
|Yue Hu||Feb. 2019–Aug. 2019||M.Sc.||Statistics in the Wild: How Practitioners Choose Statistical Procedures|
*: As the second supervisor
|WS 2019/20||Designing Interactive Systems I
Lecture TA and Lab Tutor; with Oliver Nowak
|SS 2019||Media Computing Project Lab (in Bonn)
|WS 2018/19||Designing Interactive Systems I
Lecture TA and Lab Tutor; with Adrian Wagner
|SS 2018||Media Computing Project Lab (in Bonn)
|WS 2017/18||Designing Interactive Systems I
Lecture TA and Lab Tutor; with Paulina Reijsmeijer
|SS 2017||Media Computing Project Lab (in Bonn)
|WS 2016/17||Designing Interactive Systems I
Lecture TA and Lab Tutor
|SS 2016||Media Computing Project Lab (in Bonn)
|WS 2015/16||Designing Interactive Systems I
Lecture TA and Lab Tutor; with Philipp Wacker
|SS 2015||Media Computing Project Lab (in Bonn)
|WS 2014/15||Designing Interactive Systems I
Lecture TA and Lab Tutor; with Christian Corsten
- Krishna Subramanian, Jeanine Bonot, Radu A. Coanda and Jan Borchers. StatPlayground: A Sandbox for Learning Practical Statistics. In Human-Computer Interaction -- INTERACT 2019, pages 156–165, Springer International Publishing, Cham, September 2019.
- Krishna Subramanian, Ilya Zubarev, Simon Voelker and Jan Borchers. Supporting Data Workers to Perform Exploratory Programming. In Extended Abstracts of the 2019 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI EA '19, pages 6, ACM, New York, NY, USA, May 2019.
- Krishna Subramanian, Johannes Maas, Michael Ellers, Chat Wacharamanotham, Simon Voelker and Jan Borchers. StatWire: Visual Flow-based Statistical Programming. In Extended Abstracts of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI EA '18, pages LBW104:1–LBW104:6, ACM, New York, NY, USA, April 2018.
- Krishna Subramanian and Jan Borchers. StatPlayground: Exploring Statistics through Visualizations. In CHI '17: Extended Abstracts of the 2017 CHI Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pages 401–404, ACM, New York, NY, USA, May 2017.
- Chat Wacharamanotham, Krishna Subramanian, Sarah Theres Völkel and Jan Borchers. Statsplorer: Guiding Novices in Statistical Analysis. In CHI '15: Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pages 2693–2702,New York, NY, USA, April 2015.
- Krishna Subramanian. VisiStat: Visualization-driven, Interactive Statistical Analysis. In CHI ’14: Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pages 987—992,April 2014.
- Krishna Subramanian. VisiStat: Visualization-driven, Interactive Statistical Analysis. Masters's Thesis, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, March 2014.