We offer courses in Human-Computer Interaction and Personal Fabrication, both at RWTH Aachen University and in the international MSc in Media Informatics at the Bonn-Aachen International Center for Information Technology (B-IT Center). We teach how people interact with computers and technology, how to design, prototype, and evaluate interactive products with great usability, and how computer science can open up new ways of interacting with technology and information. Check out our list of courses, or watch our classes on iTunes! A more detailed overview of our classes can be found in the older intro slides from our 30-minute presentation for new students.
We usually offer the following courses:
Winter Semester (October-February):
- Designing Interactive Systems I (6 ECTS): An introduction to Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), and our main class: How do you design great user interfaces? What's the past and future of interactive technologies? How do we humans process information, and how can we build interactive technology that works best for people? As a CS student, this is the class to learn about good UI design. For Bachelor's and Master's students. Offered both at RWTH and the B-IT Center in Bonn. Signup required due to high demand.
- iOS Application Development (6 ECTS): Learn how to design and develop mobile apps for iOS devices, for iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad.
- Graduate Lab The Media Computing Project (7/10 ECTS): Design and implement an innovative, cool interactive system. Practice iterative design, prototyping and testing in this semester-long lab course. For Master's students.
Summer Semester (April-July)
- Designing Interactive Systems II (6 ECTS): What makes a user interface tick? Understand the technology behind today's and tomorrow's window systems and user interface toolkits. Learn about the major UI toolkits in use today, and how toolkits allow you to move beyond desktop apps.
- Current Topics in HCI (6 ECTS): Learn about the latest research in HCI from recent papers selected from conferences like ACM CHI and UIST. Excellent preparation for your Master's thesis.
- Undergraduate Lab Multimodal Media Madness (7 ECTS): Think an umbrella that knows the weather forecast is a cool idea? Make it in this class! Get an introduction to user interface design and development tools and practice in a semester-long project - and build hardware/software prototypes using the 3D printers, PCB mill and lasercutter in our Fab Lab.
- Graduate Lab The Media Computing Project (7/10 ECTS): Design and implement an innovative, cool interactive system. Practice iterative design, prototyping and testing in this semester-long lab course. For Master's students. In summer, offered only at the B-IT Center in Bonn.
- Undergraduate Seminar Mensch-Maschine-Interaktion (2/3 ECTS) (in German): Read and discuss influential HCI research papers, and learn scientific writing and how to give compelling scientific presentations in the process. For Bachelor's students.
- Graduate Seminar Post-Desktop User Interfaces (4 ECTS): Read and discuss the latest HCI research papers in this class, and improve your scientific writing and presentation skills in the process. For Bachelor and Master students.