3D Competence Center // 3D-Kompetenzzentrum Niederrhein
Our lab has been running Germany's first Fab Lab since 2009. In 2015, we acquired 1M€ of funding from the EU and the state of NRW through their Regio.NRW initiative for a three-year research agenda into future user interfaces for personal design and personal fabrication. Our work is part of the 3D Competence Center, a collaboration headed by the University of Applied Sciences Rhein-Waal, and with the University of Applied Sciences Ruhr-West, to form a digital fabrication competence center. We also offer the Fab Academy curriculum in collaboration with MIT professor Neil Gershenfeld at each of our three locations.
Contact: Henric Stönner
- Prof. Jan Borchers
- Nur Al-huda Hamdan
- Henric Stönner
- Jan Thar
- Marcel Lahaye
- Students Ilja Golland, Philip Kindermann, Kirill Krasnoshchokov, Tony Zhang, Kerstin Kreutz
Within the 3DCC project, we are working on several topics:
- Fab Academy: contact Marcel Lahaye
- Sketch & Stitch: a software and hardware tool to enable fashion designers to create interactive textiles more easily. Contact Nur Al-huda Hamdan
- Haptic actuation with shape memory alloys: contact Nur Al-huda Hamdan
- Aachen Maker Meetup: Creating a community of makers in the Aachen region
- Georg Roehl. Interactive Brooches: Physical Interfaces on Smart Textiles. Masters's Thesis, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, September 2018.
- Philip Kindermann. Embroidered touchpad sensors. Masters's Thesis, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, April 2018.
- Vyacheslav Kryvosheya. Haptic Stickers: Thin, Flexible On-Skin. Masters's Thesis, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, February 2018.
- Nur Al-huda Hamdan, Simon Voelker and Jan Borchers. Sketch&Stitch: Interactive Embroidery for E-Textiles. In Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI '18, pages 82:1–82:13, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2018.
Internal 3DCC page (registered users only)