Aachen Maker Meetup
To come to a meetup, just sign up for the event on our Aachen Maker Meetup page!
This helps us order enough pizza and drinks when we meet in person, and to document attendance for our public funding agencies.
In January 2023, we returned to physical meetups after the pandemic. For now, we ask everyone to take a free Covid test upon arrival for additional safety.
- #149 Wed, June 21, 2023
- #150 Wed, July 19, 2023
- #151 Wed, August 16. 2023
- #152 Wed, September 20, 2023
- See our Aachen Maker Meetup page on Meetup.com for additional dates and updates.
We attract DIY makers, designers, inventors, entrepreneurs, electronics hackers, artists, 3D printer builders, geek dads and their daughters—anybody from 9 to 99 doing strange things with electricity!
Our meetups are very informal. There's no membership, you can just show up, although we appreciate you registering via Meetup so we can order enough free food and drinks. :) We get most people from Germany, but also the Netherlands and Belgium, thanks to Aachen's unique location, plus frequently other nationalities. If you speak German or English you'll be fine!
We get together, bring out our projects, have some soft drinks, eat pizza, and start tinkering or chatting with each other. Occasionally there's a short 10–20 min talk if someone wants to share something with everybody (or ask for help!). We've had some cool special guests like Tom Igoe, Mitch Altman, and Burkhard Kainka.
To see what to expect, check out our excellent meetup reports.
Any questions? Just contact René Schäfer who will be happy to help!
For physical meetups, see our directions to the Media Computing Group (Lehrstuhl Informatik 10 / Medieninformatik und Mensch-Computer-Interaktion) at RWTH Aachen University to find us. We meet in room 2222 on the second floor. Building doors are locked around 7 pm. Enter on Ahornstr. (close to the bus stop); there will be a sign on the door with a number to call, otherwise call +49-241-80-21060 for the phone in our meeting room.
We usually meet at 6:30 pm on the third Wednesday of each month. We sometimes shift things around for special events. See our Aachen Maker Meetup page on Meetup.com for updates.
- #148 Wed, May 17, 2023: Theremin Testing Party - Full Event Report
- #147 Wed, Apr 3, 2023: Theremin Soldering Party - Full Event Report
- #146 Wed, Apr 19, 2023: Self-made clocks and theremin - Full Event Report
- #145 Wed, Mar 15, 2023: 3D-printed art, a digital tube clock and more - Full Event Report
- #144 Wed, Feb 15, 2023: Vectrex, Influenzmaschine and more - Full Event Report
- #143 Wed, Jan 18, 2023: First Maker Meetup in-person after a long time - lots of talks, and many small projects - Full Event Report
- #142 Wed, Nov 16, 2022: Mannu Lambrichts: A Holistic View on Electronics Toolkits
- #141 Wed, Oct 19, 2022: Matt Mets: Sketching in Gateware — About maker-friendly FPGAs, and lots of LEDs- Full Event Report and video
- #140 Wed, Apr 21, 2022: Happy 40th Birthday, Sinclair ZX Spectrum! - Full Event Report and video
- #139 Wed, Mar 16, 2022: PyBadge LC: Handheld Retro-Games Programmieren — Full Event Report and video.
- #138 Wed, Feb 16, 2022: Burkhard Kainka & Klaus Leder: Die Geschichte der Elektronik-Baukästen — Full Event Report and video.
- #137 Wed, Jan 19, 2022: Jan Borchers presents prototyping using qwiic — Full Event Report
See more excellent event reports of our previous Meetups.
Who is the Aachen Maker Meetup? Here are a few people who show up frequently. Prof. Jan Borchers conducted the interviews during one of our meetups.
We announce our meetups on the Aachen Maker Meetup page (in English) and on our own low-traffic mailing list (in German).
This meetup was originally started as Dorkbot Aachen, one of Germany's first Dorkbot groups, by Prof. Jan Borchers, his Media Computing Group at RWTH Aachen University, and an Arduino forum initiative. Our first meetup was on June 6, 2009. We have been meeting every month ever since, making us Germany's longest-running Dorkbot chapter. Dorkbot is an international network of people doing interactive art and electronic hacks. In 2018, we renamed our event to the more self-explanatory Aachen Maker Meetup, and expanded the event format thanks to funding through our 3D Competence Center research project. After our 10-year anniversary in June 2019, meetups were funded through our BMBF Personal Photonics research project. Starting in 2020, funding was provided through our collaboration with the new Excellence Startup Center initiative at RWTH.
- Maker Stories, Conrad Electronic, filmed on Feb 20, 2019, TV report on our Meetup for Conrad's YouTube channel, in production
- 3D-Druck, ZDF logo!, filmed on December 18, 2013, show for children on national TV
- Du bist die Fabrik, Süddeutsche Zeitung, April 10-11, 2010, national newspaper article
- Dorkbot on TV, WDR, Lokalzeit Aachen, September 3, 2009
- DigitAC e.V. (repair café, hackerspace, music...)
- digitalHUB Aachen e.V. (coworking space, incubator,...)
- Repair Café Aachen Forst
- dorkpov, our DIY POV (persistence of vision) circuit board
- Contraptor, a DIY open-source construction set for experimental personal fabrication, desktop manufacturing, prototyping and bootstrapping
- RepRap, a free desktop 3D printer capable of printing plastic objects
- We ran Germany's first 3D printer construction master classes in 2011.
Aachen Maker Meetup administrative pages (for registered organizers)