Aachen Maker Meetup
Due to the Corona virus infection and in accordance with RWTH Aachen University's recommendations, we are suspending or moving online our physical Aachen Maker Meetups until further notice. Meanwhile, see how you as a Maker can help fight Corona.
To come to a meetup, just sign up for the event on our Aachen Maker Meetup page! This helps us order enough pizza and drinks.
We attract DIY makers, designers, inventors, entrepreneurs, electronics hackers, artists, 3D printer builders, geek dads and their daughters—anybody from 9 to 99 doing strange things with electricity!
Our meetups are very informal. There's no membership, you can just show up, although we appreciate you registering via Meetup so we can order enough free food and drinks. :) We get most people from Germany, but also the Netherlands and Belgium, thanks to Aachen's unique location, plus frequently other nationalities. If you speak German or English you'll be fine!
We get together, bring out our projects, have some soft drinks, eat pizza, and start tinkering or chatting with each other. Occasionally there's a short 10–20 min talk if someone wants to share something with everybody (or ask for help!). We've had some cool special guests like Tom Igoe, Mitch Altman, and Burkhard Kainka.
To see what to expect, check out our excellent meetup reports.
Any questions? Just contact Anke Brocker who will be happy to help!
See our directions to the Media Computing Group (Lehrstuhl Informatik 10 / Medieninformatik und Mensch-Computer-Interaktion) at RWTH Aachen University to find us. We meet in room 2222 on the second floor. Building doors are locked around 7 pm. Enter on Ahornstr. (close to the bus stop); there will be a sign on the door with a number to call, otherwise call +49-241-80-21060 for the phone in our meeting room.
We usually meet at 6:30 pm on the third Wednesday of each month. We sometimes shift things around for special events. See our Aachen Maker Meetup page on Meetup.com for updates.
Due to the Corona virus infection and in accordance with RWTH Aachen University's recommendations, we are moving online our Aachen Maker Meetups until further notice.
- #135 Wed, May 19, 2021: Prof. Stefan Neudecker will present the Grasshopper plugin of the CAD tool Rhino. This includes a basic intro plus the abilities that Grasshopper provides that go beyond usual CAD tool possibilities. Check out our meetup page to register and see the Zoom link. ( contact Anke for details).
- #136 Wed, June 16, 2021: Prof. Dr. Patrick Baudisch will present 'Kyub: a 3D Editor for Modeling Laser-Cut Objects'. Online Zoom event. Check out our meetup page to register and see the Zoom link. ( contact Anke for details).
- #137 Wed, July 21, 2021
- #138 Wed, Aug 18, 2021
- #139 Wed, Sep 15, 2021: Summer Break
- #139 Wed, Oct 20, 2021
- #140 Wed, Nov 17, 2021
- #141 Wed, Dec 15, 2021
- See our Aachen Maker Meetup page on Meetup.com for additional dates and updates.
- #134 Wed, Apr 21, 2021: We tested out a demo version of 'Kyub: a 3D Editor for Modeling Laser-Cut Objects'. — Full Event Report
- #133 Wed, Mar 17, 2021: Felix Niessen will present his work on drones. He is one of the three partners of the company Fettec, through which he offers brushless motor controls and developments for multicopters — Full Event Report
- #132 Feb 17, 2021: Presentation of the LabAix Aachen by Klaus Kloos and his daughter Neele Kloos, online Zoom event — Full Event Report
- #131 Feb 10, 2021: Special Online Event - Aachen Maker Meetup meets Media Computing Project - Our students presented their projects for this semester. The topic the students worked on were plug-ins for Fusion360, e.g. to be able to rebuild your 3D models with Lego bricks, or freehand sketching. Here is the lab's website with a short overview of the projects: https://hci.rwth-aachen.de/mcp2021
- #130 Wed, Jul 16, 2020: Special Online Event - Aachen Maker Meetup meets Multimodal Media Madness - Our students presented their projects for this semester. The topic the students worked on were plug-ins for Cura and Blender, e.g. to be able to continue an aborted 3D print with Cura. Here is the lab's website with a short overview of the projects: https://hci.rwth-aachen.de/m3-ss20 — Full Event Report
- #129, Wed, Jun 17, 2020
- #128, Wed, May 20, 2020
- #127, Wed, Apr 15, 2020
- #126, Wed, Mar 25, 2020 (4th Wed of the month!): This week we will present the newest 3D printer of our lab to you: The ProJet MJP 2500 Plus stereolithography 3D printer by 3D Systems. The ProJet creates the smoothest surfaces and most precise geometries of our 3D printers. If your aim is to create parts that need very fine or precise geometries the ProJet is a great choice.
- #125, Wed, Feb 19, 2020: Aron shared his DIY project regarding vacuum thermoforming and his experiences during the process. He has been visiting our meet-ups regularly before and has been keen on trying out different processes to fabricate his ideas. — Full Event Report
- #124, Wed, Jan 15, 2020: Precious Plastics: Open-Source machines to recycle plastics locally — Full Event Report
- #123, Wed, Dec 18, 2019: Celebrating 10 Years of Fab Lab Aachen, with some exciting news about the growth of our Fab Lab! — Full Event Report
See more excellent event reports of our previous Meetups.
Who is the Aachen Maker Meetup? Here are a few people who show up frequently. Prof. Jan Borchers conducted the interviews during one of our meetups.
This meetup was originally started as Dorkbot Aachen, one of Germany's first Dorkbot groups, by Prof. Jan Borchers, his Media Computing Group at RWTH Aachen University, and an Arduino forum initiative. Our first meetup was on June 6, 2009. We have been meeting every month ever since, making us Germany's longest-running Dorkbot chapter. Dorkbot is an international network of people doing interactive art and electronic hacks. In 2018, we renamed our event to the more self-explanatory Aachen Maker Meetup, and expanded the event format thanks to funding through our 3D Competence Center research project. After our 10-year anniversary in June 2019, meetups were funded through our BMBF Personal Photonics research project. Starting in 2020, funding was provided through our collaboration with the new Excellence Startup Center initiative at RWTH.
- Maker Stories, Conrad Electronic, filmed on Feb 20, 2019, TV report on our Meetup for Conrad's YouTube channel, in production
- 3D-Druck, ZDF logo!, filmed on December 18, 2013, show for children on national TV
- Du bist die Fabrik, Süddeutsche Zeitung, April 10-11, 2010, national newspaper article
- Dorkbot on TV, WDR, Lokalzeit Aachen, September 3, 2009
- DigitAC e.V. (repair café, hackerspace, music...)
- digitalHUB Aachen e.V. (coworking space, incubator,...)
- Repair Café Aachen Forst
- dorkpov, our DIY POV (persistence of vision) circuit board
- Contraptor, a DIY open-source construction set for experimental personal fabrication, desktop manufacturing, prototyping and bootstrapping
- RepRap, a free desktop 3D printer capable of printing plastic objects
- We ran Germany's first 3D printer construction master classes in 2011.