PERCs: Persistently Trackable Tangibles on Capacitive Multi-Touch Displays: PERCs use the touch probing signal from capacitive touch screens to determine whether the tangibles are on- or off-screen. This allows robust capacitive tangible widgets regardless of being touched. (read more)
Paper and Demo at UIST 2015 and Demo at ITS 2015
Intuitex an intuitive textile input controller. (read more)
Poster at MUC 2015, Late-Breaking Work at CHI 2016
HaptiVision is a vibrotactile On-Body display. Part of the Personal Photonics project. (read more)
Demo at CHI 2016, Design Exhibition at ISWC 2017
Pinstripe is a textile Sensor that enables eyes-free continuous input anywhere on interactive clothing. (read more)
YAWN is a easy-to-use rapid prototyping toolkit for wearables. Part of the Personal Photonics project. (read more)
Paper at ISWC 2018
TextiMu is a textile multitouchpad. Part of the Personal Photonics project. (read more)
CutCAD is a design software for laser cutted 3D objects designed in 2D vector art and using automatic calculated fingerjoints as connections. Part of the Personal Photonics project and Numerika2Neets. (read more)
Poster and Demo at DIS 2018
|SS 2018||Multimodal Media Madness Project
|SS 2017||Multimodal Media Madness Project
|WS 2016||Media Computing Project
|SS 2016||Multimodal Media Madness Project
Fab Lab Aachen I am now the manager of the fab lab at RWTH Aachen University. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or if you want to use the lab. If you are a student at our chair and want to use one of the machines (and don't know how to operate them yet) contact me for an introduction.
FabLab Kids GirlsDay & Helle Köpfe
Dorkbot Each third wednesday at the month people who do strange things with electricity meet at the chair
I worked as a student assistant (for electronic stuff & Co) for Florian Heller on
In my master thesis I developed APucs / PERC - preventing tangibles to be filtered out on capacitive touch tables
I worked on my bachelor thesis about pinstripe (implementation and integration):
Just for fun: My bachelor thesis presentation bachelor thesis presentation about pinstripe controlled with pinstripe...
An arrow marks a major peer-reviewed archival publication.
- Jan Thar, Sophy Stoenner and Jan Borchers. HapticPong: Low Resolution Games for Visual Impaired. In Proceedings of the 2018 Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play Companion Extended Abstracts, CHIPlay '18, pages 133–136, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2018.
- Jan Thar, Sophy Stoenner and Jan Borchers. HaptiGames - Personally Fabricated for Visual Impaired. In Proceedings of the 2018 Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play Companion Extended Abstracts, CHIPlay '18, pages 137–141, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2018.
- Jan Thar, Sophy Stoenner, Florian Heller and Jan Borchers. YAWN: Yet Another Wearable Toolkit. In Proceedings of the 2018 ACM International Symposium on Wearable Computers, ISWC '18, pages 232–233, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2018.
- Florian Heller, Jan Thar, Dennis Lewandowski, Mirko Hartmann, Pierre Schoonbrood, Sophy Stoenner, Simon Voelker and Jan Borchers. CutCAD - An Open-source Tool to Design 3D Objects in 2D. In DIS '18: Proceedings of the 2018 Conference on Designing Interactive Systems, DIS '18, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2018.
- Jan Thar, Florian Heller, Sophy Stoenner and Jan Borchers. HapticToolkit: Easily Integrate and Control Vibration Motor Arrays for Wearables. In ISWC '17: Proceedings of the 2017 ACM International Symposium on Wearable Computers, pages 249–253,September 2017.
- Nadine Bergner, Patrick Franken, Julia Kleeberger, Thiemo Leonhardt, Mario Lukas, Mario Pesch, Natalia Prost, Jan Thar and Lina Wassong. Das Calliope-Buch: Spannende Bastelprojekte mit dem Calliope-Mini-Board. dpunkt, Book, July 2017.
- Philipp Wacker, Chat Wacharamanotham, Daniel Spelmezan, Jan Thar, David A. Sánchez, René Bohne and Jan Borchers. VibroVision: An On-Body Tactile Image Guide for the Blind. In Extended Abstracts of the CHI'16 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pages 3788–3791, ACM, New York, NY, USA, May 2016.
- Nur Al-huda Hamdan, Florian Heller, Chat Wacharamanotham, Jan Thar and Jan Borchers. Grabrics: A Foldable Two-Dimensional Textile Input Controller. In Extended Abstracts of the 2016 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI EA '16, pages 2497–2503,May 2016.
- Christian Cherek, Simon Voelker, Jan Thar, Rene Linden, Florian Busch and Jan Borchers. PERCs Demo: Persistently Trackable Tangibles on Capacitive Multi-Touch Displays. In Proceedings of the 2015 International Conference on Interactive Tabletops and Surfaces, pages 389–392, ACM, New York, NY, USA, November 2015.
- Simon Voelker, Christian Cherek, Jan Thar, Thorsten Karrer, Christian Thoresen, Kjell Ivar Øvergård and Jan Borchers. PERCs: Persistently Trackable Tangibles on Capacitive Multi-Touch Displays. In UIST '15: Proceedings of the 28th Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, UIST '15, pages 6, ACM, New York, NY, USA, November 2015.
- Jan Thar. APUCS: Active Tangible Input Devices for Capacitive Multitouch Surface. Master's Thesis, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, June 2015.
- Jan Thar. Pinstripe: Integration & Evaluation of a Wearable Linear Input Controller for Everyday Clothing. Bachelor's Thesis, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, February 2013.