Sketch&Stitch: Interactive Embroidery for E-Textiles
An end-to-end fabrication system to transform a sketch on fabric into an interactive circuit using conductive embroidery.
Sketch and Stitch A Smart Textile
Stitch your own smart textile using any commercial embroidery machine. Find how in the paper.
Materials and tools
- A piece of fabric and embroidery threads
- Madeira conductive embroidery yarn
- Bernina 880 computerized embroidery machine, or any other machine
- To use the Sketch&Stitch system, download our tool(s)
- Sketch&Stitch OS-iOS Suit: An OS app for filtering an image (e.g., a sketch) based on color, and communicating with embroidery machine software to convert each colored file into a custom embroidery pattern that can be stitched using any commercial embroidery machine. An iOS app to capture the image and send it directly to the OS app.
- Smart Textile Router: A web-based tool based on Eagle for routing wires in arbitrarily shaped PCBs. Originally developed to allow routing conductive yarn traces in artistic smart textile interfaces.
- Smart Glove Maker: A web-based tool for creating smart gloves using conductive embroidery and for programming them by demonstration, i.e., without writing any code.
- David Garcia Olivares. The Smart-Glove Maker: An Embroidery-Based Pipeline for Fabricating Smart-Gloves. Masters's Thesis, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, November 2018.
- Philip Kindermann. Embroidered touchpad sensors. Masters's Thesis, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, April 2018.
- Nur Al-huda Hamdan, Simon Voelker and Jan Borchers. Sketch&Stitch: Interactive Embroidery for E-Textiles. In Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI '18, pages 82:1–82:13, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2018.