What is Statsplorer?
Statsplorer (formerly known as VisiStat) is a software tool that allows users to do statistical analysis by interacting with visualizations. It guides the user to select appropriate statistical analysis tasks based on her research questions. It also prevents common statistical analysis mistakes and promotes understanding by collocating appropriate visualizations with statistical analysis results. Our user studies showed that Statsplorer helps novices to perform statistical analysis and learn about the analysis process.
Statsplorer is a Master's thesis by Krishna Subramanian. It is supervised by Chat Wacharamanotham, M.Sc. and Prof. Jan Borchers. It is funded in part by the German B-IT foundation. A follow-up Bachlor's thesis by Sarah Völkel focuses on evaluating how Statsplorer helps novices in learning statistics. Marty Pye is extending Statsplorer to Bayesian statistics.
We are rewriting Statsplore from scratch to make it faster, more stable, and easier to extend. We expect to release Statsplorer in July 2015. (Due to manpower issue, the 1.0 release is delayed to late 2015.) If you want to be notified when Statsplorer is released, leave your email address in this online form.
- On github (v. 0.2)
- Issue log (Internal)
- Marty Pye. Designing Interactive Bayesian Statistical Analysis. Masters's Thesis, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, September 2015.
- Chat Wacharamanotham, Krishna Subramanian, Sarah Theres Völkel and Jan Borchers. Statsplorer: Guiding Novices in Statistical Analysis. In CHI '15: Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pages 2693–2702,New York, NY, USA, April 2015.
- Sarah Theres Völkel. Evaluating the Impact of an Interactive Statistical Analysis System on Learning Statistics. Bachelor's Thesis, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, August 2014.
- Krishna Subramanian. VisiStat: visualization-driven, interactive statistical analysis. In CHI ’14: Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pages 987—992,April 2014.
- Krishna Subramanian. VisiStat: Visualization-driven, Interactive Statistical Analysis. Masters's Thesis, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, March 2014.