Jan-Peter completed his PhD on improving the usability of software development environments at the Media Computing Group under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Jan Borchers in 2016. To find out what he did next, check out our alumni page.
f you are looking for Jan Krämer, click here.
Interests / Personal Information
We compared two kinds of programming paradigms for animation design to understand the effect of API level abstractions on developer's work strategies.
Short Paper at CHASE 2016.
Vesta implements the idea to leverage runtime information from manual executions performed by developers to support authoring of documentation and unit tests.
Short Paper at CHI 2016.
Live coding environments provide information about a program’s execution immediately after each change to the source code.
Short Paper at VL/HCC 2014.
We suggest a method to analyse developers' Navigation Strategies using predictive models and apply this method to compare different call graph navigation tools.
Full Paper at CHI 2013.
Blaze is a source code exploration tool tailored closely to developers' call graph exploration strategies.
Work in Progress at CHI 2012.
Stacksplorer provides a novel way to visualize potential call stacks within a traditional IDE and allows navigation along these call stacks.
Full paper at UIST 2011.
PIM-Mail is a plugin for Apple Mail that consolidates task and email management.
Student Research Competition at CHI 2010.
We developed Silhouettes an interactive city-building game. A group of 16 players can construct future urban spaces by forming buildings and vegetation with the shadows of their bodies on a large projection screen.
Silhouettes was installed inside the German-Chinese House at the World EXPO 2010 in Shanghai.
iEat lets you access the menu of your favorite Aachen Mensa via your OS X menu bar and via your iPhone.
JaPeThoPageIndicator serves your needs for this kind of view on the Mac platform. No more missing this useful iOS widget.
Comes in NSView and CALayer flavors.
Diploma / Master / Bachelor Theses
Talk to me if you are interested in working on a project dealing with the improvement of tools for (software) development or other expert interfaces. Feel free to present your own ideas if you have any, or ask for topics I currently offer.
Other Project Involvements
- Associative PDA
- iTouch Framework
- Student Admin 2 (internal, previously maintained by Henning Kiel)
- Vicious Library (internal, previously maintained by Gero Herkenrath)
Competences / Skills
- Cocoa, Cocoa Touch, libldap, BaseTen
- HTML, CSS, PHP, Ruby on Rails, Node.js, jQuery, MySQL, PostgreSQL
Download my vCard (internal access only)
( denotes a major peer-reviewed publication).
- Jan-Peter Krämer. Interacting with Code: Observations, Models, and Tools for Usable Software Development Environments. PhD Thesis, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany, November 2016.
- Jan-Peter Krämer, Michael Hennings, Joel Brandt and Jan Borchers. An Empirical Study of Programming Paradigms for Animation. In Proceedings of the 9th International Workshop on Cooperative and Human Aspects of Software Engineering, CHASE '16, pages 58–61, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2016.
- Jan-Peter Krämer, Joel Brandt and Jan Borchers. Using Runtime Traces to Improve Documentation and Unit Test Authoring for Dynamic Languages. In Proceedings of the 2016 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI '16, pages 3232–3237, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2016.
- Jan-Peter Krämer, Joachim Kurz, Thorsten Karrer and Jan Borchers. How live coding affects developers' coding behavior. In VL/HCC '14: IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing, pages 5-8,July 2014.
- Jan-Peter Krämer, Thorsten Karrer, Joachim Kurz, Moritz Wittenhagen and Jan Borchers. How Tools in IDEs Shape Developers' Navigation Behavior. In CHI '13: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pages 3073–3082, ACM, New York, NY, USA, April 2013.
- Jan-Peter Krämer, Joachim Kurz, Thorsten Karrer and Jan Borchers. Blaze. In Proceedings of the 2012 International Conference on Software Engineering, ICSE 2012, pages 1457–1458, IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ, USA, 2012.
- Jan-Peter Krämer, Joachim Kurz, Thorsten Karrer and Jan Borchers. Blaze: supporting two-phased call graph navigation in source code. In CHI '12: Extended abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI EA '12, pages 2195–2200, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2012.
- Jan-Peter Krämer. Stacksplorer Understanding Dynamic Program Behavior. Diploma Thesis, RWTH Aachen University,January 2011.
- Thorsten Karrer, Jan-Peter Krämer, Jonathan Diehl, Björn Hartmann and Jan Borchers. Stacksplorer: Call Graph Navigation Helps Increasing Code Maintenance Efficiency. In UIST '11: Proceedings of the 24th annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, pages 217–224,October 2011.
- Jan-Peter Krämer, Thorsten Karrer, Jonathan Diehl and Jan Borchers. Stacksplorer: Understanding Dynamic Program Behavior. In Extended Abstracts of the ACM UIST 2010 Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology,New York, NY, October 2010.
- Jan-Peter Krämer. PIM-Mail: Consolidating Task and Email Management. In CHI '10: Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, ACM Press, New York, NY, USA, 2010.
- Jonathan Diehl, Jan-Peter Krämer and Jan Borchers. A Framework for using the iPhone as a Wireless Input Device for Interactive Systems. In UIST '08: Extended Abstracts of the 21st Annual ACM symposium on User Interface Software and Technology,October 2008.