Max completed his PhD on capturing the expressiveness of touch on interactive surfaces at the Media Computing Group under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Jan Borchers in 2013. To find out what he did next, check out our alumni page.
I was a PhD student at Media Computing Group from September 2008 to December 2013. I was conducting research on how to better capture the expressiveness of touch on a variety of interactive surfaces. My project heritage can be found here (internal access only).
Touch interfaces provide great flexibility in designing an UI. However, the actual experience is often frustrating due to bad touch recognition. We saw that the relative location of the predecessor of a touch has a significant impact on the orientation and position of the touch ellipsis. We exploited this effect on an off-the-shelf touch display and showed that with only minimal preparation the touch accuracy of standard hardware can be improved allowing better recognition rates or more UI components on the same screen.
Note at CHI 2013.
3D Displays can be controlled using direct manipulation. This, however, introduces problems as the "direct" notion means that our object should stick to our fingers during interaction. However, on a viewer-centric display, head movements will also translate the object. We compared different methods to cope with these constrains.
Full Paper at ITS 2012, workshop submission at CHI 2012.
TaPS Widgets enable private spaces on Tabletops using a tangible widget. TaPS widgets do not need wearable hardware, scale well with additional users, require only low-cost hardware, and do not suffer from concurrent access conflicts.
Note at ITS 2011, alt.chi at CHI 2011
- Media Computing Project (SS12[mcp1112|WS11],SS11,WS10,SS10,SS09)
- Proseminar HCI (WS11,SS11,SS10,SS09)
- Post-Desktop User Interfaces (WS09,WS08)
- Programming in Java (WS09), Number 1 Download on iTunes U Germany on 11.10.2011
- Multimodal Media Madness (WS08)
3rd Party Projects
- Ignacio Avellino (2013): A Framework for Inexpensive and Unobtrusive Tracking of Everyday Objects and Single-touch Detection
- Norbert Dumont (2012): The Impact of Body Posture on Touchtable Accuracy
- Christian Cherek (2012): Folio: Augmenting Books on Interactive Tabletops
- Christian Corsten (2012): Co-Optjects: Instant User Interfaces Through Everyday Objects
- Patrick Zimmer (2011): Touching Illusions - Exploring Techniques for Direct Touch Interaction on 3D Tabletop Displays
- Torsten Sehy (2011): A Collaborative Learning Tool for Sorting Algorithms on Multitouch Tables
- Ray Bohnenberger (2010): TaPS: Tangible Personal Spaces
- Torsten Palm (2010): LookingThroughTime: Design Considerations for a History Augmented Tourist Handheld
- Stephan Deininghaus (2010): An Interactive Surface for Literary Studies
- Christian Köhler (2009): Using Mobile Phones for Sustainability in Domestic Environments
- Jan Borchers, Christian Corsten, Max Möllers and Simon Voelker. Von der Fläche zur Kurve: Multi-Touch auf beliebigen Oberflächen und Objekten. In Multi-Touch: Interaktion durch Berührung, Xpert.press, pages 369–392, Springer Verlag, Incollection, February 2014.
- Christian Corsten, Ignacio Avellino, Max Möllers and Jan Borchers. Instant User Interfaces: Repurposing Everyday Objects as Input Devices. In ITS '13: Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Interactive Tabletops and Surfaces, pages 71–80,October 2013.
- Max Möllers, Norbert Dumont, Stefan Ladwig and Jan Borchers. Improving Touch Accuracy on Large Tabletops using Predecessor and Successor. In CHI' 13: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pages 755-758,April 2013.
- Max Möllers, Patrick Zimmer and Jan Borchers. Direct Manipulation and the Third Dimension: A Design Space for Co-Planar Dragging on 3D Displays. In CHI '12: Extended Abstracts of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems,Austin, USA, May 2012.
- Max Möllers, Patrick Zimmer and Jan Borchers. Direct Manipulation and the Third Dimension: Co-Planar Dragging on 3D Displays. In ITS '12: Proceedings of the 2012 ACM international conference on Interactive tabletops and surfaces, In Proceedings of ITS2012, ITS '12, pages 11–20, ACM, New York, NY, USA, Nov 2012.
- Max Möllers, Patrick Zimmer and Jan Borchers. TaPS Widgets: Interacting with Tangible Private Spaces. In Proceedings of ITS2011,2011.
- Stephan Deininghaus, Max Möllers, Moritz Wittenhagen, Karin Herrmann and Jan Borchers. Hybrid Documents Ease Text Corpus Analysis For Literary Scholars. In Proceedings of ITS 2010,2010.
- Karin Herrmann, Max Möllers, Moritz Wittenhagen and Stephan Deininghaus. Ein interaktiver Multitouch-Tisch als multimediale Arbeitsumgebung. In Digitale Wissenschaft 2010, Hochschulbibliothekszentrum NRW, Cologne, 2010.
- Max Möllers, Jonathan Diehl, Markus Jordans and Jan Borchers. Towards Systematic Usability Verification. In CHI '09: Extended Abstracts of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, ACM Press, New York, NY, USA, April 2009.
- Max Möllers, Moritz Wittenhagen, Karin Herrmann and Jan Borchers. New Methods to Support Table-Based Creation Processes. In C&C '09: Proceedings of the 7th ACM SIGCHI conference on Creativity & cognition, ACM Press, New York, NY, USA, 2009.
- Jonathan Diehl, Max Möllers and Jan Borchers. Improving List Selection Performance with Pressure-Sensitivity on a Scroll Ring. In UIST '08: Extended Abstracts of the 21st Annual ACM symposium on User Interface Software and Technology,October 2008.