Current Work and Contact Info
As of 2017, I am Startup Program Manager at Telefónica Germany, where we are developing a consumer IoT platform called geeny. If you'd like to contact me, check out my personal web page: http://www.rene-bohne.de.
Schedule and Away Dates
My schedule has a dedicated page: bohne_schedule
Besides my teaching and research activities, I managed the Fab Lab Aachen, which is part of our chair at RWTH Aachen University.
Master and Bachelor Theses I supervised
These student assistants helped me in the Fab Lab:
- Jan Zimmermann - Mechatronics engineer
- Ceyda Avci - management
- Francis Engelmann - software development
- Niklas Hauser - embedded systems and electronics
- Hendrik Kolvenbach - mechanical engineer
- Roksaneh Krooß - Public Relations, events, and educational content
- Thomas Oster - software development
- Sophy Stoenner - Designer / Master of Arts
For many years, I was the main contact person for the Fab Lab at RWTH Aachen University. If you are a student at our chair, you can register for our FabLab training courses. These courses allow you to use the FabLab on any date (except Tuesday) without registration.
I organized the dorkbot Aachen meetings which continue to take place every third Wednesday of the month in room 2222.
I created the software for the robOLED robotic arm that types on an iPad and sends text to an OLED wall. It is a permanent art installation in the new BMBF building in Berlin.
I was part of the iWall team. The iWall is an interactive light installation that opens up new opportunities in Smart Lighting research, teaching, and development for researchers, students, artists and makers. It is installed high up along the entire façade of the Computer Science building at RWTH Aachen University, facing Halifaxstraße.
I was one of the supervisors of the FabArcade project, an open-source games arcade that can be built in any Fab Lab.
My Diploma Thesis was about LumiNet.
I created a distributed bootloader for the network and added support for the LumiNet hardware to the Arduino IDE. My supervisors were Prof. Jan Borchers and Gero Herkenrath.
- René Bohne. Günstiger 3D-Scan-Automat. In c't Hardware Hacks, pages 32 ff., number 2, May 2013.
- René Bohne. Machines for Personal Fabrication. In FabLab: Of Machines, Makers and Inventors, Cultural and Media Studies, pages 163–171, transcript Verlag, Bielefeld, March 2013.
- René Bohne. Making Things Wearable - Intelligente Kleidung selber schneidern. O'Reilly, Book, September 2012.
- René Bohne. LumiNet - An Organic Interactive Illumination Network. Diploma Thesis, RWTH Aachen University,May 2009.