Fab Academy 2019 at Fab Lab Aachen
International Class Website: http://fabacademy.org
Just as communications and computation went from analog to digital, resulting in PCs and the Internet, the digitization of fabrication is leading to personal fabricators that will allow anyone to make almost anything, anywhere. The development of digital fabrication is based on creating codes that don’t just describe things, they are things, much as proteins are coded in molecular biology. This research roadmap is ultimately aiming at a Star Trek-style replicator, but prototype versions of these capabilities are already available in field fab labs.
At Fab Academy, you will learn how to envision, prototype and document your ideas through many hours of hands-on experience with digital fabrication tools. We take a variety of code formats and turn them into physical objects.
The Fab Academy Diploma consists of a 5 month part-time student commitment. The Fab Diploma is the result of the sum of Fab Academy Certificates. Progress towards the diploma is evaluated by a student’s acquired skills rather than time or credits.
The Fab Academy is a fast paced, hands-on learning experience where students plan and execute a new project each week. Each individual documents their progress for each project, resulting in a personal portfolio of technical accomplishments. [Source: Fab Academy]
Current Aachen Fab Academy Participants:
Previous Fab Lab Aachen Fab Academy Graduates
- Marcel Lahaye — please contact Marcel with any questions about the class.
Local Support Team
i10 Personal Fabrication Guides & Related Reference Materials
Class Times and Locations
Assignments are given out weekly to apply the topics covered in the lecture that week. For specific requirements, see Fab Academy Assignments and Assessment.
In order to complete the program and receive the Fab Academy Diploma, students need to:
- have completed and documented all assignments, based on the standards of the Assessment Document;
- have presented their Final Project, in person, to the Faculty and to their peers in the Final Presentations rounds in June (or January, for continuing students); and
- have been evaluated and passed the assessment of both Local Instructor and Global Evaluator.
Find more details on the Fab Academy website.
- Fab Academy Handbook
- Our local document outlining the schedule of an ideal Fab Academy week for a student: Ideal Fab Academy Week.pdf