VisiCut - An Application Genre for Lasercutting in Personal FabricationA Bachelor thesis by Thomas Oster, supervised by René Bohne
For the VisiCut Software, visit this page.
Download Full Thesis in PDF format
IntroductionA laser-cutter is a central device in Personal Fabrication, especially in FabLabs. Currently working with a laser-cutter requires many unnecessary steps and much experience.
The goal of this bachelor thesis is to optimize this work-flow by removing unnecessary steps and make the most common jobs more easy.
It will be outlined, that the existing tools are not sufficient for most users and therefore a new tool named "Visicut" will be developed which will enable users to prepare their laser-jobs at home.
As a base for Visicut and eventually much more specialized applications a user-space driver for laser-cutters named "Liblasercut" will be build, which abstracts from the specific laser-cutter model.
• no administrator privileges needed (application level)
• allows specialized laser-cutting applications and actions not reproducible with the current driver (eg. Changing power,speed,frequency and focus linearly in lines for calibration)
• based on liblasercut => platform independent etc (Home users often Windows,
FabLabs often Mac OS and Linux)
• Single jar-file application makes it possible to be downloaded from the FabLab page, without installing, and prepare jobs at home before even having a FabLab appointment.
• removes “looking up parameters”, “focus” and “configure driver dialogue” from work-flow
• provides good preview for each material
• adds possibility to save => reproduce => publish laser-jobs (Thingiverse etc)
• Makes Lasercutting more WYSWYG by providing a camera picture of the material in the lasercutter for easy positioning of the graphic directly on the material.