Tangible Tabletop Tower Defence
Increased popularity of multi touch surfaces such as common tablets, smartphones and multi touch tables also brought many board-game-like games for these systems. However, these games do not provide the same experience as actual board games. Therefore, we want to build a tower defence game (known from WarCraft III or flash apps) for a modern multi touch table with physical, movable and adjustable towers.
What you will doIn MCP WS ’15/16, students will design and implement a tabletop tower defence game on a modern multi touch table with physical moveable towers. Students will use the tools provided by the FabLab to design and build the physical towers for this game.
What you will learnAfter the course, you will be able to work with recent Apple API technology for game development. You will prove your knowledge and skill by implementing a functioning system which will allow users to play tower defence on a modern multitouch table. Additionally you will gain knowledge on FabLab technologies such as a laser cutter and a PCB mill.
Preferred student backgroundDIS1 (Designing Interactive Systems) is a prerequisite or co-requisite (being taken in the same semester) of the course. The project will be evaluated based on usability heuristics presented in DIS1.
Basic knowledge of Apple APIs, Objective-C, Swift or iOS programming will give you a big advantage in the project. Nevertheless, we will refresh them for you in class during the semester.
Also, please add a note if you own any Apple Hardware, this will help us to organise the lab machines, since we want to give as many of you as possible the chance to participate.
Preliminary reading suggestions
- Previous MCP-project on visual multitouch systems
- PUCs tangibles for capacitive multitouch displays
- SpriteKit Documentation
- Prereleased GameplayKit Documentation
Why you should apply for this course
- If you want to get a head start on understanding and implementing games with Apples newest APIs, this is your chance!
- If you are eager to build a real system that gives a new game experience, this is your chance!
- If you are interested in multi touch systems, FabLab, and tangible interaction, this is your chance!
- 15% assignments + class participation
- 10% prelimiary design & prototypes
- 60% final project deliverable
- 10% final presentation
- 5% project management and collaboration
Administrative infoLanguage: The course will be held in English and all submissions are expected to be in English
General information: The course description is in the MCP landing page
Time & venue:
- Wednesdays 13:15 - 15:15 Uhr