This course builds on the foundations of Designing Interactive Systems I, and provides an understanding of how interactive multimedia systems are built from a computer science point of view. It covers the principles of event-based operating systems, window system architectures, input and output device technology for multiple modalities, as well as User Interface Management Systems and UI development toolkits and their relative merits. In the labs, you will develop a minimalistic window system yourself, but also learn to work with various real-life development environments, including window systems such as Java Swing and multimedia development environments, to develop user interfaces.
After this class, you will know how the technology behind interactive systems works. You can analyze, design, and implement graphical and other user interfaces for existing and emerging technologies, both for the desktop and beyond, and including interfaces for multimedia contents. Group-based, project-centered assignments and lab activities convey hands-on experience building user interfaces and foster project management and teamwork skills.
The class consists of weekly lectures, labs, reading assignments, project-based group assignments, and graded written midterm and final examinations.
- Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Jan Borchers
- Teaching Assistants: Philipp Wacker, M.Sc. and Paulina Reijsmeijer, M.Sc.
Class Times and Locations
|Until 03.05.||Register for the lecture in CAMPUS.
Instead, if you are an ERASMUS student or taking this class as a Bachelor's in advance for your Master's, write Philipp an email.
|Only 40 seats are available for this course.|
|Until 03.05.||Sign the Declaration of Compliance and hand it in during the lecture.|
|04.05.||Registration result announcement.||Make sure that you have access to L2P.|
|Until 26.05.||Register for the exam in CAMPUS.|
|02.06||Last date to deregister|
Number of SWS: V3+Ü2 (Aachen)
ECTS Credits: 6
Course language: English throughout (for all lectures, assignments, submissions, and exams)
The lab is on Mondays, 2:15pm–3:45pm. There will be no labs on the following dates:
- 05.06.17 (Excursion Week)
Attending the lab is mandatory on the following dates:
- 12.06.17 (Midterm Exam)
- 26.06.17 (Project Introduction)
- 12.06.2017: Midterm Exam, 14:15–15:45 in 9222 (E3), 60 minutes examination
- 01.08.2017: Final Exam, 14:00–16:00 in AH IV/VI, 60 minutes examination
- 21.08.2017: Second Chance Exam, 14:00–17:00 in AH IV, 60 minutes examination
Assignments will be assigned weekly. You can find the assignments in the L2P course room.
They are to be completed in groups of 2. Assignments will be graded on the following scale:
- 1.0 - exceptional work that also solved expert questions.
- 2.0 - exercise was completed satisfactorily as per the assignment specification (w/o expert questions).
- 3.0 - exercise was completed, but has some problems
- 4.0 - incomplete exercise
- 5.0 - little or no effort was put into the exercise
The assignments are designed to be completed in the RBI Mac Lab in 4U15. You can work there according to the reservation plan.
Of course, you can also use your own computer to work on the assignments.
However, it will be your responsibility to ensure your program(s) run on the machines in the lab. Programs that do not run correctly on the lab machines will be graded as incomplete. We will be able to provide technical support for the lab machines only. Please note that submissions with a written component that do not meet the basic standards of university-level English will not be graded.
Late assignments will not be accepted. Exceptions will be granted only for valid (i.e., medical) reasons.
How Your Final Grade Is Calculated
|Assignments and Project||
Fields of study
- Informatik (M.Sc.)/Angewandte Informatik
- Informatik (GYM+GS,SII)/Hauptstudium/B. Praktische Informatik
- Technik-Kommunikation (M.A.)/2. Hauptfach (Technisches Fach)/Grundlagen der Informatik/Hauptstudium/Spezialisierung Informatik
- TK 2. Fach-Grundlagen der Informatik (M.Sc.)/Wahlpflicht Informatik/Angewandte Informatik
- Media Informatics (M.Sc.)/Multimedia Technologie
- Media Informatics (M.Sc.)/Multimedia Technologie/in Aachen
- Software Systems Engineering (M.Sc.)/Applied Computer Science
- Software Systems Engineering (M.Sc.)/Practical Computer Science
- Software Systems Engineering (M.Sc.)/Areas of Specialization/Media Informatics