How to Upload Lecture Videos as Podcasts on iTunesSince the end of 2017, we started uploading our lectures to iTunes Podcasts instead of iTunes U. This page details the steps for uploading lecture videos as podcasts.
First time: Creating a podcast for a new course
- Download needed tools: Put 'Copy Podcast Enclosure URL' Service in your computer's /Library/Services/, and download Feeder 3.
- Create a course folder in afp://oliver.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/WebServer/Lectures/. Naming convention for the course folder: DIS1/2017_18_ws/.
- This folder will eventually contain (a) all lecture videos, (b) podcast artwork, (c) podcast RSS Feed (xml file).
- Choose 'Apple Podcast' and fill the details. All fields are mandatory (example).
- For 'Artwork', go to the course logo, select it, right click on it, select 'Copy Podcast Enclosure URL'. Now in Feeder app, right click on 'Drag Artwork Here' > 'Open From URL', and paste the course logo url there.
- For 'File Name', set it to, e.g., dis1_2017.
- Click 'Create'.
- For each video,
- select 'New Item',
- enter video 'Title',
- enter video 'Enclosure URL': Go to the video file in the course folder, select it, right click on it, select 'Copy Podcast Enclosure URL', paste in 'Enclosure URL',
- click on 'Fetch Attributes From File...', and select the video file in lecture videos (the app will calculate its size),
- (other fields in this dialog are optional), close the dialog and select 'Save'.
- Copy the RSS Feed file from Application Support/Feeder 3/Feeds to the course folder.
- If the URL fails to validate, read the error message. Refer to Nur if you need.
- Once the URL is validated, you should see the newly added podcast at the end of the page, with a red star indicating it has been submitted, but yet not published.
Uploading new lecture videos
- Repeat step 5.5 for each new video. Then do 5.6. New videos should appear directly in the RSS Feed (xml file) and after ~1 day in iTunes.
Naming ConventionLecture videos folder: DIS1/2017_18_ws/
RSS Feed: dis1_2017.xml