Multimodal Media Madness - Winter Semester 2008/2009
Due on Sunday, November 2, 2008 @ midnight
This assignment will introduce you to Quartz Composer.
During lab tine you should work through some tutorials
Interface basics A first patch Animation
Your first assignment is to create a patch that creates a rotating cube displaying a video. Each side of the cube should show some other visualization of the same image. You can split the image into its respective RGB channels or create an edge map of the whole image. Just explore the patches Quartz Composer offers and find something that looks cool.
Here are some QC patches that might be useful:
Rotating Cube. It only displays a single image!),
Color to RGB,
Basically anything that is listed as Filter.
As always you can get extra credits by extending your patch in some useful way. Be creative!
Some ideas for extra credit in this assignment:
- make the rotation interactive. Use the mouse to give it a spin
- add inertia, so the rotation slows down over time
Email an archive of your assignment to
Your assignment archive should include your QC patch file. Include a short plain text
READMEfile that contains:
- the names and email addresses of all group members
- a short description of what your patch does
- non-obvious things you did (if any)
- if you did any extra credit work, be sure to tell us what you did
Be prepared to discuss your solution in the next lab.
The assignment will be graded on the following rough scale:
- 1.0 - exceptional work that clearly went above and beyond what was given on the exercise
- 2.0 - exercise was completed satisfactorily as per the assignment specification
- 3.0 - exercise was completed, but has some problems
- 4.0 - incomplete exercise
- 5.0 - little or no effort was put into the exercise
Late assignments will be graded with a penalty of 0.5 per 24 hour period after the due date.