D.O.R.I.S. – Die Defekte Dampfmaschine
D.O.R.I.S. is a narcissistic and mean steam engine. She is also broken. Unfortunately, she is in the possession of the 4-digit code that you need to escape that room, so you make a deal. You promise to fix her, and she promises you the code in return. Have fun!
D.O.R.I.S. is a talking riddle-box that consists of 5 different riddles. To finish the game and get the 4-digit code, the riddles must be solved one by one. The box talks the player through the riddles and assists by ejecting clue-cards.
The “Reactor Control”-riddle requires the player to rotate fuses (illuminated buttons) into the correct positions by pressing buttons in a specific order. To beat the “Access Control”-riddle, the player must complete an acoustic pattern by knocking on the box.
The “Pressure Control”-riddle consists of 4 pressure gauges representing different gases. The goal is to set the interconnected gauges to a specific level for each gas without having not enough or too much gas in the pressure chamber at any given time.
The “Crypto Module” can be used to decrypt messages. For that, the player must place the code gears correctly and turn them to get the decrypted message.
The “Parameter Control”-riddle consists of 9 digits ranging from 1 to 9. To solve the riddle, the player must position the digits on the 3x3 grid, such that the sum of the numbers in every row, every column and both diagonals is the same.
To initiate the game, the gamemaster must perform the following steps:
- The code wheels on the “Crypto Module”-riddle must be scrambled (position and orientation)
- The digits on the “Parameter Control”-riddle module must be scrambled.
- All four clue cards must be inserted in the correct slots and orientation, that is:
- The spork of the “Goeffel Industries”-logo is facing up and away from the center for every card
- The service panel (D.O.R.I.S. title tile) must be removed by pulling (holds with magnets) and the fully charged loudspeaker and power bank must be activated. After a few seconds, the servo motors initialize themselves. After that, the service panel can be closed again, and the game is ready to start.
The player can start the game afterwards, by pressing the black or the white button on top of the box. From there on, the black button starts the next sequence in the game (if there is one at the moment) and the white button repeats the last audio output. The game ends, when the promised 4-digit code is procured by the player.