DIS 2 Syllabus (Aachen)Course schedule is tentative and subject to change. Links to lecture notes and assignments will be posted as the semester progresses.
Note: You must be registered with the class to download the lecture notes and assignments.
- May 23: You can work with your old partner for assignment 6.
- The midterm takes place in room 2010 on May 16, 10:00-11:00.
- Apr 16: If you are looking for last year's DIS2 videos please make sure to check s-inf!
- Mar 14: Please register for the DIS2 course and lab! Do it now... or at least before April 10th. We will not be able to accept any assignment submissions or written exam papers from unregistered students.
- Mar 12: Welcome to this year's DIS2 course! (:cool:) The teaching schedule is still preliminary and may be subject to changes (this is true for the exam dates, too!).
Video Recordings (Right click and save)
|04.04.07||Introduction, Taxonomy of Input Devices||1 up, 4 up||video||Input devices (Card)||Labs intro|
|05.04.07||Window Systems Architecture, Graphics Event Library||1 up, 4 up||video||Window System Architecture (Gosling)||none|
|11.04.07||Base Window System||1 up, 4 up||video||none||none|
|12.04.07||Window Manager||1 up, 4 up||video||none||none|
|18.04.07||User Interface Toolkit Layer, Smalltalk, MVC, Morphic||1 up, 4 up||preliminary video||Smalltalk-80 user manual, Morphic User Interface (Maloney)||none|
|19.04.07||Morphic cont., Macintosh Toolbox||1 up, 4 up||preliminary video||Squeak pp. 20-35 (Maloney), The X Window System (Scheifler)||none|
|25.04.07||X Window Systems||1 up, 4 up||video||none||none|
|26.04.07||X Window Systems cont., OSF/Motif, Tcl/Tk||1 up, 4 up, 1 up, 4 up||video||none||none|
|02.05.2007||no classes, no lab on 30.04.2007||none|
|09.05.07||Qt, Java||1 up, 4 up||video||none||none|
|10.05.07||Windows (and Stever Ballmer videos)||1 up, 4 up||video||none||none|
|16.05.07||Midterm Exam||Grades for the Midterm (:arrow:) You can have a look at your exam during the next lab.|
|23.05.07||Mac OS X, Part I||1 up, 4 up||no video||none||none|
|24.05.07||Mac OS X, Part II||1 up, 4 up||video||none||none|
|06.06.07||Web 2.0||1 up, 4 up||new video||What is Web 2.0, Emotionally-centered Design||none|
|07.06.07||no classes, public holiday|
|13.06.07||no classes, DIES|
|14.06.07||subArctic, ARToolkit||1 up, 4 up||video||Extensible Input Handling in the subArctic Toolkit (Hudson)||none|
|20.06.07||MAX/MSP||1 up, 4 up||video||none||none|
|21.06.07||Interactive Multimedia: Audio Output||1 up, 4 up||video||Sonic Finder (Gaver), ARKola (Gaver)||none|
|27.06.07||Interactive Multimedia: Audio and Speech Input||1 up, 4 up||video (557 MB)||none||none|
|28.06.07||Interactive Multimedia: Displays, Video Input and Output||1 up, 4 up||video (535 MB)||none||none|
|04.07.07||Symbian, Haptics||1 up, 4 up||video||none||none|
|05.07.07||Looking Forward & Course Evaluation||to appear||video||none||none|
|11.07.07||Final Project Presentations||to appear||to appear||none||none|
|12.07.07||Final Exam||Grades for the Final (:arrow:) You can have a look at your exam on Wednesday, Jul 18th, 10am 12am in room 2010 (AC).|
|26.07.07||Final Exam - 2nd chance||Grades for the second chance Final|
|Assignment No.||Topic||Materials||Due Date|
|2||Input Devices, Relatively Speaking||Input device data||23.04.07|
|3||Windows (not the Microsoft kind)||GEL java class||07.05.07|
|4||Now You See Me, Now You Don’t||none||14.05.07|
|5||RAT: Really Awesome Toolkit||none||21.05.07|
|6||The X Factor||xmtutor-1.3c.tar.gz, motif_sample.tar.gz||04.06.07|
- May 16: Midterm Exam (cf. announcements)
- Jul 12: Final Exam (cf. announcements)
Grading PolicyIf you wish to take the course for credit, you must complete all assignments and exams. You will receive a schein upon successful completion of the course with a grade. The grade will be calculated as follows:
- 20% - lab exercises, assignments
- 20% - project
- 25% - midterm exam
- 35% - final exam
AssignmentsAssignments will be assigned weekly. They are to be completed in groups of 2 or 3. Assignments will be graded on the following scale:
- 1.0 - exceptional work that clearly went above and beyond what was given on the exercise
- 2.0 - exercise was completed satisfactorily as per the assignment specification
- 3.0 - exercise was completed, but has some problems
- 4.0 - incomplete exercise
- 5.0 - little or no effort was put into the exercise