DIS 2 Syllabus (Bonn)Course schedule is tentative and subject to change. Links to lecture notes and assignments will be posted as the semester progresses.
Note: You must be registered with the class to download the lecture notes and assignments.
- Aug 1: Schein grades
- July 3: Please register for the final exam before Friday, 7.7. @17:00. If you don't register, you may not be able to write the final exam. The final exam takes place in the Marschallsall on Tuesday, July 11, 2006, 14:15-16:45.
- All topics may be covered in the final exam. Please also review the Java lecture. You can find the video on the Aachen website or on S-INF.de
- The midterm takes place during the lecture on Tuesday, May 16, 2006, 14:15-15:15.
- Questions relate to the topics and assignments covered in class and in lab.
- May 9: No assignment for this week.
- Please register by April 11 if you want to participate in DIS2, or we will delete your old DIS Web & Lab account!
- The possible new lab hours are:
- Mon: 16:15 - 18:00
- Tue: 14:15 - 18:00
- Wed: 14:15 - 18:00
- Fri: 14:15 - 18:00
- Lecture videos
- streamed: see Aachen syllabus
Lecture Schedule and Slides
- Apr 4: Introduction, Taxonomy of Input Devices (Jan & Daniel)
- Reading: Input devices (Card)
- Reading: Window System Architecture (Gosling)
- Reading: Smalltalk-80 user manual
- Reading: Morphic User Interface (Maloney)
- Reading: What is Web 2.0
- Reading: Emotionally-centered Design
- due Apr 10: Hello GUI
- If you're new to Mac, you can find most applications in the Applications folder or the Developer/Applications folder.
- Terminal: Applications/Utilities/Terminal
- XCode: System-4.3/Developer/Applications/XCode (System-4.3 denotes the root directory that is visible in the Finder window and may be different on the lab machines)
- May 16: Midterm
- Jul 11: Final Exam
Grading PolicyIf you wish to take the course for credit, you must complete all assignments, lab exercises and exams. You will receive a schein upon successful completion of the course with a grade. The grade will be calculated as follows:
- 25% - lab exercises, assignments
- 25% - midterm exam
- 50% - final exam
Assignments and Lab ExercisesAssignments/lab exercises will be assigned weekly. They are to be completed in groups of 2 or 3. If you do not complete the lab exercise during the scheduled lab section, you must complete it on your own time and submit it the following week together with the assignment for that week. Lab exercises and assignments will be graded on the following scale:
- 1.0 - exceptional work that clearly went above and beyond what was given on the exercise
- 2.0 - exercise was completed satisfactorily as per the assignment specification
- 3.0 - exercise was completed, but has some problems
- 4.0 - incomplete exercise
- 5.0 - little or no effort was put into the exercise