DIS 2 Syllabus (Bonn)Course schedule is tentative and subject to change. Links to lecture notes and assignments will be posted as the semester progresses.
Note: You must be registered with the class to download the lecture notes and assignments.
- Jul 22: Sample solution for the pd assignment.
- Jul 13: Final exam is now on August 3 from 13:30 to 15:30. Location to be confirmed.
- Jun 21: Midterm solutions are now available.
- Jun 08: Sample implementation of the simple java window manager for assignments 1-4
- Apr 20: Class discussion forum is now available. (registered students only)
Lecture Schedule and Slides
- Reading: Input devices (Card)
- Reading: Macintosh Toolbox Essentials - Read the Introduction, Chapter 1, and the "Introduction To" sections of the chapters on the Event Manager, Menu Manager, Window Manager, Control Manager, and Dialog Manager
- Reading: The X Window System (Scheifler)
- due May 3: Hello Java WM
- due May 3: Windows (not the Microsoft kind)
- due May 10: Let's See the Windows!
- due May 17: A Basic Window Manager
- due May 24: BUT: A Basic User Interace Toolkit
- due Jun 7: Hello, Motif!
- due Jun 11: Submit one exam question to the class discussion forum
- due Jun 21: You Say Imperial, I Say Metric...
- Jun 15: Midterm Exam
- Aug 03: Final Exam
Grading PolicyIf you wish to take the course for credit, you must complete all assignments, lab exercises and exams. You will receive a schein upon successful completion of the course with a grade. The grade will be calculated as follows:
- 25% - lab exercises, assignments
- 25% - midterm exam
- 50% - final exam
Assignments and Lab ExercisesAssignments/lab exercises will be assigned weekly. They are to be completed in groups of 2 or 3. If you do not complete the lab exercise during the scheduled lab section, you must complete it on your own time and submit it the following week together with the assignment for that week. Lab exercises and assignments will be graded on the following scale:
- 1.0 - exceptional work that clearly went above and beyond what was given on the exercise
- 2.0 - exercise was completed satisfactorily as per the assignment specification
- 3.0 - exercise was completed, but has some problems
- 4.0 - incomplete exercise
- 5.0 - little or no effort was put into the exercise