DIS 2 Syllabus (Bonn)Course schedule is tentative and subject to change. Links to lecture notes and assignments will be posted as the semester progresses.
Note: You must be registered with the class to download the lecture notes and assignments.
- Jul 19: The date for the second chance final exam is Jul 26, 10am - room 2010. (:exclaim:) If you want to take the exam please register by writing an email to Thorsten Karrer!
- July 2: The final exam takes place in the Marschallsaal on Thu, 12.07.2007, 10:00-11:00.
- May 23: You can work with your old partner for assignment 6.
- The midterm takes place in seminar room 2.1 on May 16, 10:00-11:00.
- Mar 20: Please note that there is no lecture on the 29th of May!
- Mar 14: Please register for the DIS2 course and lab! Do it now... or at least before April 10th. We will not be able to accept any assignment submissions or written exam papers from unregistered students.
- Mar 12: Welcome to this year's DIS2 course! (:cool:) The teaching schedule is still preliminary and will be subject to changes (this might true for the exam dates, too!).
Video Recordings (Right click and save)
|03.04.07||Introduction, Taxonomy of Input Devices||1 up, 4 up||Video||Input devices (Card)||Labs intro|
|10.04.07||Window Systems Architecture, Graphics Event Library||1 up, 4 up||Video||Window System Architecture (Gosling)||none|
|17.04.07||Base Window System||1 up, 4 up||see AC||none||none|
|24.04.07||Window Manager, User Interface Toolkit Layer||1 up, 4 up||see AC||none||none|
|08.05.07||Smalltalk, MVC, Macintosh Toolbox||1 up, 4 up||see AC||Smalltalk-80 user manual, Morphic User Interface (Maloney), Squeak pp. 20-35 (Maloney)||none|
|15.05.07||no lecture/lab because of midterm|
|16.05.07||Midterm Exam, 10:00 - 11:00, seminar room 2.1||Grades for the Midterm You can have a look at your exam during the next lab.|
|22.05.07||X Window System, OSF/Motif||1 up, 4 up||see AC||The X Window System (Scheifler)||none|
|29.05.07||no lecture/lab - Exkursionswoche in AC|
|05.06.07||Mac OS X||1 up, 4 up||see AC||none||none|
|12.06.07||Windows (and Stever Ballmer videos)||1 up, 4 up||see AC||none||none|
|19.06.07||Web 2.0||1 up, 4 up||Video||What is Web 2.0, Emotionally-centered Design||none|
|26.06.07||Java AWT, Swing||1 up, 4 up||see AC||none||none|
|03.07.07||Interactive Multimedia: Audio Input and Output, Visual Output, Displays & Course Evaluation||1 up, 4 up||see AC||Sonic Finder (Gaver), ARKola (Gaver)||none|
|10.07.07||no lecture/lab because of final exam|
|12.07.07||Final Exam, Marschallsaal, 10:00-11:00||Grades for the Final (:arrow:) You can have a look at your exam on Wednesday, Jul 18th, 10am 12am in room 2010 (AC).|
|Assignment No.||Topic||Materials||Due Date|
|2||Input Devices, Relatively Speaking||Input device data||24.04.07|
|3||In Deep GEL||GEL java class||07.05.07|
|4||Windows (not the Microsoft kind)||none||15.05.07|
|5||I Manage Windows||none||22.05.07|
|6||The X Factor||xmtutor-1.3c.tar.gz, motif_sample.tar.gz||05.06.07|
|8||BUT: Basic User Interface Toolkit||none||26.06.07|
|9||GWT: Google Web Toolkit||to appear||10.07.07|
- Midterm Exam: May 16, 10:00-11:00, seminar room 2.1
- Final Exam: July 12, 10:00-11:00, Marschallsaal
Grading PolicyIf you wish to take the course for credit, you must complete all assignments, lab exercises and exams. You will receive a schein upon successful completion of the course with a grade. The grade will be calculated as follows:
- 25% - lab exercises, assignments
- 25% - midterm exam
- 50% - final exam
Assignments and Lab ExercisesAssignments/lab exercises will be assigned weekly. They are to be completed in groups of 2 or 3. If you do not complete the lab exercise during the scheduled lab section, you must complete it on your own time and submit it the following week together with the assignment for that week. Lab exercises and assignments will be graded on the following scale:
- 1.0 - exceptional work that clearly went above and beyond what was given on the exercise
- 2.0 - exercise was completed satisfactorily as per the assignment specification
- 3.0 - exercise was completed, but has some problems
- 4.0 - incomplete exercise
- 5.0 - little or no effort was put into the exercise