DIS 2 Syllabus (Aachen)Course schedule is tentative and subject to change. Links to lecture notes and assignments will be posted as the semester progresses.
Note: You must be registered with the class to download the lecture notes and assignments.
- Jul 13: Final exam is now on July 28. Project website deadline has been extended to July 22.
- Jul 08: Project presentation sign-up sheet.
- Jun 23: Project websites.
- Jun 21: Midterm solutions are now available.
- Jun 17: A collection of links for Max/MSP.
- Jun 09: The midterm exam will take place in Room 4116 (i7). The deadline for assignment 5 has been extended to June 22.
- Jun 08: Sample implementation of the simple java window manager for labs 1-2 and assignments 1-3
- May 24: "Hello Motif" lab assignment is due Jun 1.
- May 6: Lectures will be held in Room 2010 from now on.
- Apr 21: Tomorrow's lecture will be held in Room 4116.
- Apr 20: Class discussion forum is now available (registered students only).
Lecture Schedule and Slides
- Reading: Input devices (Card)
- Reading: Macintosh Toolbox Essentials - Read the Introduction, Chapter 1, and the "Introduction To" sections of the chapters on the Event Manager, Menu Manager, Window Manager, Control Manager, and Dialog Manager
- Reading: The X Window System (Scheifler)
- due May 4: Hello Java WM
- Fun with the Morphic Graphics System (John Maloney)
- due May 4: Windows (not the Microsoft kind)
- due May 11: A Basic Window Manager
- due May 18: BUT: A Basic User Interface Toolkit
- due Jun 1: Hello, Mac Toolbox!
- minimal.zip (use Safari to download!)
- resedit.zip (use Safari to download!)
- Jun 16: Midterm Exam
- Jul 28: Final Exam
Grading PolicyIf you wish to take the course for credit, you must complete all assignments, lab exercises and exams. You will receive a schein upon successful completion of the course with a grade. The grade will be calculated as follows:
- 20% - lab exercises, assignments
- 20% - project
- 25% - midterm exam
- 35% - final exam
Assignments and Lab ExercisesAssignments/lab exercises will be assigned weekly. They are to be completed in groups of 2 or 3. If you do not complete the lab exercise during the scheduled lab section, you must complete it on your own time and submit it the following week together with the assignment for that week. Lab exercises and assignments will be graded on the following scale:
- 1.0 - exceptional work that clearly went above and beyond what was given on the exercise
- 2.0 - exercise was completed satisfactorily as per the assignment specification
- 3.0 - exercise was completed, but has some problems
- 4.0 - incomplete exercise
- 5.0 - little or no effort was put into the exercise