Lab: The Media Computing ProjectCurrent Semester: MCP WS 2013/14
Allocation:Field of study:
- Informatik (D)/Hauptstudium/Praktische Informatik
- Informatik (Msc)/Hauptstudium/Praktische Informatik
- Media Informatics (M.Sc.)/Multimedia-Technologie/in Aachen
- Software Systems Engineering (M.Sc.)/Areas of Specialization/Media Computing and Interactive Systems
Number SWS: U4
The lab (Praktikum) will be held in english.
Content:In this lab (Praktikum), students will work on group projects to explore post-desktop, multimodal user interfaces and interaction with multimedia contents. The goal is to design and implement an interactive system that shows how new interaction metaphors and technology can allow people to interact with various media, static or time-based, in new ways. You will be able to work with a selection of our finest hardware: numerous large-scale multi-touch tabletops, a 3D real-time tracking system, our own fabrication workshop, and much more. Projects will be judged based on the following criteria.
- originality of the idea: do you have a novel concept, or does it already exist as a research prototype or even product elsewhere?
- depth of investigation and thinking: are there obvious flaws in the design of the user experience that you should have caught and resolved? does your design process exhibit multiple iterations of design, prototyping, and analysis?
- identification and understanding of target users: have you identified who your users should be, and have you studied their profiles?
- a compelling concept: does your system seem like one that your target audience just wouldn't want to miss because it is so indispensable, useful, or fun?
- technical elegance, depth, and robustness: does the implementation exhibit creativity in solving the problems you encountered, or did you take the path of least resistance? does it include more refined or only very simplistic features? does it work well consistently, or only occasionally?
- innovative use of available resources: did you put the technologies you had at hand to surprising new uses?
- media-spaciousness: is it possible to make the system a long-term demo in the Media Space?
Lecturers (WS 2013/14):
- Mi 12:00h - 14:00h, room 2222, Aachen
Past SemestersMCP SS 2013 (Bonn) — Mobile Gaming
MCP WS 2012 — Interactive Assembly
MCP SS 2012 (only available from within the RWTH-net, use VPN)
MCP WS 2011
MCP SS 2011
MCP WS 2010
MCP SS 2009
MCP SS 2008
MCP SS 2007
MCP SS 2006
Created by. Last Modification: Wednesday 09 of October, 2013 22:02:45 by .