Teaching OverviewProf. Borchers will likely be away from RWTH from Oct 1, 2016 to Mar 31, 2017 during his research sabbatical and not available for teaching, exams, or administrative tasks, including emails related to administration or student affairs. Please contact his administrator Clarissa de Gavarelli with any questions.
The Media Computing Group usually offers the following courses:
Winter Semester (October-February):
- Designing Interactive Systems I (6 ECTS): An introduction to Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), and our main class: How do you design great user interfaces? What's the past and future of interactive technologies? How do we humans process information, and how can we build interactive technology that works best for people? As a CS student, this is the class to learn about good UI design. For Bachelor's and Master's students. Offered both at RWTH and the B-IT Center in Bonn. Signup required due to high demand.
- iPhone Application Programming (3/6 ECTS): Learn how to design and develop mobile apps for iOS devices, for iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad. Can be taken for fewer credits without the associated lab.
- Undergraduate Seminar Mensch-Maschine-Interaktion (2/3 ECTS) (in German): Read and discuss influential HCI research papers, and learn scientific writing and how to give compelling scientific presentations in the process. For Bachelor's students.
- Graduate Lab The Media Computing Project (7/10 ECTS): Design and implement an innovative, cool interactive system. Practice iterative design, prototyping and testing in this semester-long lab course. For Master's students.
Summer Semester (April-July)
- Designing Interactive Systems II (6 ECTS): What makes a user interface tick? Understand the technology behind today's and tomorrow's window systems and user interface toolkits. Learn about the major UI toolkits in use today, and how toolkits allow you to move beyond desktop apps.
- Current Topics in HCI (6 ECTS): Learn about the latest research in HCI from recent papers selected from conferences like ACM CHI and UIST. Excellent preparation for your Master's thesis.
- Undergraduate Lab Multimodal Media Madness (7 ECTS): Think an umbrella that knows the weather forecast is a cool idea? Make it in this class! Get an introduction to user interface design and development tools and practice in a semester-long project - and build hardware/software prototypes using the 3D printers, PCB mill and lasercutter in our Fab Lab.
- Graduate Lab The Media Computing Project (7/10 ECTS): Design and implement an innovative, cool interactive system. Practice iterative design, prototyping and testing in this semester-long lab course. For Master's students. In summer, offered only at the B-IT Center in Bonn.
- Graduate Seminar Post-Desktop User Interfaces (4 ECTS): Read and discuss the latest HCI research papers in this class, and improve your scientific writing and presentation skills in the process. For Bachelor and Master students.
More informationA more detailed overview of our classes can be found in the intro slides from our 30-minute presentation for new students. Or check out our classes on iTunes U!
Created by. Last Modification: Monday 23 of May, 2016 12:54:12 by .