dorkbot-ac: dorkbot Aachen
people doing strange things with electricity in Aachen
Welcome to dorkbot Aachen!Dorkbot is an international network of people doing interactive art and electronic hacks. Dorkbot Aachen was initiated as one of Germany's first Dorkbot groups by Prof. Jan Borchers, his Media Computing Group at RWTH Aachen University, and an Arduino forum initiative. Our inaugural dork took place on June 6, 2009. We have been meeting every month ever since, making us Germany's longest-running Dorkbot chapter.
When?We usually meet at 6:30 pm on the third Wednesday of each month. We sometimes shift things around for special events.
Always at 18:30 (6:30 pm)
- Wednesday, January 20, 2016
- Wednesday, February 17, 2016
- Wednesday, March 16, 2016
- Wednesday, April 20, 2016
Always at 18:30 (6:30 pm)
Where?See our directions to the Media Computing Group at RWTH Aachen University to find us. We meet in room 2222 on the second floor. Building doors are locked at 7 pm. Enter on Ahornstr. (close to the bus stop); there will be a sign on the door with a number to call, or try +49-241-80-21060 for the phone in our meeting room.
- Dorkbots are very informal. There's no membership, you just show up.
- We attract DIY makers, designers, electronics hackers, artists, 3D printer builders, geek dads and their daughters - anybody from 9 to 99 doing strange things with electricity!
- We usually have folks from Germany, the Netherlands, and Belgium, thanks to Aachen's unique location, plus frequently other nationalities. If you speak English or German you'll be fine!
- We get together, bring out our projects, have some drinks, order pizza, and start tinkering or chatting with each other.
- Occasionally there's a short 20-min slot if someone would like to share something with everybody (or ask for help!).
- We've also had some cool special guests, such as Mitch Altman and Burkhard Kainka.
- To read about what we've been up to, check out these excellent trip reports of our past dorkbot sessions (in German).
- To find out what dorkbot is in general, check the dorkbot home page (when it's working).
Other dorkbots in Germany: Berlin - Oldenburg - Cologne - Munich. For a full listing, check the international dorkbot home page.
Any questions? Just contact Jan Thar who will be happy to help!
Our low traffic mailing list
- Cord Elias is running a repair café in Aachen on Saturdays once a month
- dorkpov is a DIY POV (persistence of vision) circuit board
- Contraptor is a DIY open-source construction set for experimental personal fabrication, desktop manufacturing, prototyping and bootstrapping
- RepRap is a free desktop 3D printer capable of printing plastic objects.
- We ran Germany's first 3D printer consruction master classes in 2011
dorkbot Aachen in the Press
- Du bist die Fabrik, Süddeutsche Zeitung, April 10-11, 2010, national newspaper article
- Dorkbot on TV, WDR, Lokalzeit Aachen, September 3, 2009