Designing Interactive Systems, WS 0708Course schedule is tentative and subject to change. Links to lecture notes and assignments will be posted as the semester progresses.
Note: You must be registered with the class to download the lecture notes and assignments.
- The streams of the history videos are available. You need the QuickTime player to watch them. Username: bob, Password: mrincredible
- There is a Podcast available for the lecture videos. In iTunes, Advanced->Subscribe to podcast.
- Feb 11: The updated results of the final exam are online! Just click on the link in the table.
- Feb 21: The Final Exam 2nd Chance grades are online.
- Feb 22: Your updated final Schein grades are HERE.
- Mar 25: If you have successfully participated in an experiment, you can pick up your Schein from April 17th.
Video Recordings (Right click and save)
|17.10.07||Introduction, CMN model, Fitts' law||1up 4up||155 MB||Dix - Chapter: "The Human" (pp. 11-59)|
|24.10.07||Perception, Gestalt laws, Affordances||1up 4up||168 MB||Norman - Chapter 1||Schneiderman 12.4, Dix - "The Interaction" (pp. 123-164)|
|31.10.07||Seven stages of action, Mappings, Constraints||1up 4up||126 MB||Norman - Chapters 2-3|
|07.11.07||Knowledge, Slips, POET Summary||1up 4up||166 MB||Norman - Chapters 4-7, Norman - Design of Future Things Chapter 1|
|14.11.07||History part 1||1up 4up|| 439 MB |
- Xerox Star
|Dix - Chapter 4 "Paradigms" pp. 165-186, Schneiderman 12.3, Vannevar Bush: As we may think|
|21.11.07||History part 2||1up 4up|| 273 MB |
- Put That There
- Knowledge Navigator
- Sun StarFire
|Bruce Tognazzini: Starfire|
|05.12.07||DIA cycle, Observation, Storyboards||1up 4up|| video uncomplete, download video from s-inf ! |
First Half : 56 MB
|Schneiderman 3.5-3.8,4.4||Schneiderman 4.1-4.3, Dix - Chapter "Evaluation Techniques" (pp. 289-318)|
|12.12.07||Prototyping||1up 4up||155 MB||Carolyn Snyder, Paper Prototyping (chapters 4, 6, 7)|
|19.12.07||Golden rules||1up 4up||123 MB||Schneiderman 12.2,12.6|
|09.01.08||Evaluation||1up 4up||185 MB|
|16.01.08||In Class Design Studio|
|23.01.08||Notations & Outlook||1up 4up||174 MB|
|30.01.08||Presentation of final projects||to appear||to appear|
|21.02.08||Final Exam 2nd Chance|
|Assignment No.||Topic||Materials||Due Date|
|1||Fitts' Law|| Assignment 1, |
Fitts Law Tapping Task,
|2||Usability Breakdown||Assignment 2||05.11.2007 @1200|
|3||Designing a Home Theatre Remote||Assignment 3|
|4||Douglas Engelbart: History||Assignment 4||19.11.2007 @1200|
|5||Project Part 1||Assignment 5||10.12.2007 @1200|
|6||Project Part 2||Assignment 6||17.12.2007 @1200|
|7||Project Part 3||Assignment 7||07.01.2008 @1200|
|8||Project Part 4||Assignment 8||14.01.2008 @1200|
|9||Project Part 5||Assignment 9||21.01.2008 @1200|
|10||Project Part 6||Assignment 10||28.01.2008 @1200, Presentation during lecture 30.01.08|
- Nov 28: Midterm Exam (cf. announcements)
- Feb 06: Final Exam (cf. announcements)
Grading PolicyIf you wish to take the course for credit, you must complete all assignments and exams. You will receive a schein upon successful completion of the course with a grade. The grade will be calculated as follows:
- 15% - lab exercises, assignments
- 25% - project
- 25% - midterm exam
- 35% - final exam
AssignmentsAssignments will be assigned weekly. The first 4 assignments are to be completed in groups of 2. However, groups of 4 are required for the project assignments. Assignments will be graded on the following scale:
- 1.0 - exceptional work that clearly went above and beyond what was given on the exercise
- 2.0 - exercise was completed satisfactorily as per the assignment specification
- 3.0 - exercise was completed, but has some problems
- 4.0 - incomplete exercise
- 5.0 - little or no effort was put into the exercise
Late PolicyLate assignments will be graded with a penalty of 0.5 per 24 hour period after the due date. Exceptions will be granted only for valid (i.e. medical) reasons.
Created by weiss.. Last Modification: Tuesday 25 of March, 2008 17:25:22 by